As in other areas under German occupation, the Jewish community of Crete had to provide detailed lists of its members.
In a letter, dated 4 August 1941, to the Mayor of Hania, the German Military Command of Crete requested that numbered lists be drawn up of “all persons of Jewish origin (regardless of religious affiliation) with names, occupation, place and date of birth, place of residence, as well as the reason for settling in Crete.” The lists were to be submitted to the German Military Command, and the Greek authorities are held responsible for the “full and accurate accomplishment of the above task.”
In a letter dated 9 August 1941, the Mayor of Hania, Nikolaos Skoulas, informed Rabbi Osmos of this requirement, asking for “as soon as possible the requested detailed list of the Jews residing in the city to be submitted to the German Military Command.” On 14 August 1941, Rabbi Osmos submitted this list, with the names of 314 resident Jews. The document also noted that there were no Jews living in Rethymno and just a few families in Heraklion. A list of Jews resident in Heraklion was requested on 2 September 1941 and later compiled, listing a total of 26 names. Jews from Heraklion were later made to relocate to Hania; the only remaining synagogue in the city was deliberately demolished by the Occupation Forces.
A second community list was later requested and supplied on 17 February 1943. It listed 279 Jewish residents in the city of Hania.
Photos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5: © Historical Archive of Crete, Hania