A small stone fountain is set in the east wall of the northern courtyard. It replaces the original one that had been broken apart by squatters occupying the building from 1944 to 1955. The stone frame of the fountain is constructed from carved fragments of lintel stones discovered in the roof of the synagogue when it was removed during the renovation.
The fountain is used for the washing of hands with a ritual cup (netilat yadayim) before prayer.
To the right of the fountain, a plaque commemorates the main donors who contributed towards the reconstruction of Etz Hayyim Synagogue.
Photo 1: © Anastasios Skikos
Photo 2: © Etz Hayyim Synagogue