Along the walls of the southern courtyard some tomb stones are placed that were recovered from the former Jewish cemetery, which was situated to the west of the old town of Hania in the modern Nea Chora district on a plot of land extending from the sea shore about 200 meters southwards.
Rabbi Avraham Evlagon notes that the cemetery was open on all sides until 1900 when it was enclosed by a perimeter wall with financial assistance of the then Chief Rabbi of France.
During the Germany occupation, the cemetery was largely destroyed. On parts of the plot, a school was later built and it was with pupils from this school that the first intercultural program at Etz Hayyim Synagogue was conducted.
Source: public domain
Photos 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12: © Anastasios Skikos